Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happy St. Andrews Day Ya Wee Chuckters and Gurnies

I have been writing a novel for the last year-and-a-half that is partially set in Scotland. As I've researched, read, and learned about Scotland I have begun to feel a real kinship with the place. My Great-great Grandfather SchMurdock came from Perth in 1861. A half dozen or so other family lines also originated there. I am a Scot by ancestry and thus am part of the Scottish Diaspora, and proud to be so. Don't believe me? My white skinny legs in a kilt would halt any doubt.

Today, November 30, is Scotland's national day, St. Andrew's Day. Join me in celebrating the day by enjoying some Cullen Skink, Roast Shoulder of Lamb with potato and onion, and some Spiced Winter Fruit in Creamed Vanilla Rice Pudding. Sounds pretty good, eh? Well, all but the use of the word skink to describe food.

Here's an instructional video on St. Andrew and how he became the patron Saint of Scotland.

Enjoy,

No comments: