Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting to the Bottom of it

A few weeks ago my two-year-old son, Cubby (names have been changed), was sitting with me at church when he dropped a piece of whatever cereal he was eating.  The cereal piece rolled down my right side and back behind me on the pew.

Cubby quickly reached back there, grabbed the cereal and ate it before I could stop him (of course, he's the fourth kid, and who stops the fourth kid from eating whatever he wants to eat?  Not me.  All of the energy that went into that practice was used up on kid #1).

Anyway, the reaching behind me to get the cereal had sparked a question in the lad.

He asked, pointing to my backside, "Dad, is that your bum?"

As a Mormon, I am trained to not talk about bums at church (unless we're talking about changing diapers), so I ignored his question.

So, he asked again, "Dad, is that your bum?"  This time he asked a little more emphatically.

I, still feeling the need to ignore the topic, said, "shhh."

Being shushed aggravated the boy,  he just wanted an answer to a simple question.  "IS THAT YOUR BUUUUUM!?!?!"  He screamed.  I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but in my mind the speaker stopped speaking and the entire congregation turned, I guess, interested to see if THAT was indeed my bum.

I did the only thing I could do.  I leaned down and into his ear whispered, "Yes.  That is my bum."

Satisfied, he went back to eating his cereal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your church stories.
Brian

jana said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! That is awesome. All they want is a straight answer, "Yes, my son, that is my bum." Excellent!

Erin said...

I agree. Your church stories are second to none. I had to read this one to Mike.