Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Newby

So, today we go in to find out which flavor of baby we are having (mmmm...baby flavors). I am going to ask for baby-shampoo-flavored baby, Buffy probably will ask for lavendar-scented-lotion-flavored baby. We, of course, will not order a maconium-, placenta-, or vomit-flavored baby, but we'll probably get one anyway.

But, whatever the flavor--or gender--one way or another we have another family member coming in October. Excuse me for a moment while I have a panic attack (shove it down... shove it down... breathe, breathe... good). Ike is not quite six. Since he was born we have had at least one person in our family who regularly poops his or her pants. I suppose that trend will continue for the forseeable future (I am getting older after all). I also suppose that my suit jackets will continue to have various body fluids staining the sholders. And bedtime will continue to be a four-hour chess game that starts at 5:00 PM and involves all the cunning negotiation skills of both the hopelessly outnumbered parents and the ever more confident children.

I guess it also means we'll have a new face to kiss. And new bum cheeks to pinch. And a new mind to fill. New fears to calm. New hands to hold. A new stocking to hang. New portraits to hang. Songs to sing. Laughter to hear. And new love to give.

I can't wait to meet this kid. I'll let you know what we find out.


UPDATE: 'tis a boy.

4 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

Congratulations! I'm excited to know as well.
btw when is the JS papers? Or do I have to watch every.single.one to see you sing?
xxoo
~a

J and M said...

Yeeeee HAWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Kathie said...

You made me cry, Rick. I am looking forward to meeting this cutie too. By-the-way, it was so fun to have you and the kids stop by. I love it when you visit. You have such wonderful kids and you and Liz are such great parents. This new little one is so fortunate to be coming to your family.

Bringhurst Family said...

That's Super Duper!