Monday, June 8, 2009

My Debut

Last week I got a call from someone who had gotten a call from KJZZ TV, a local television station that was created as the broadcasting home of The Shmutah Scmazz. They were looking for a couple of vocalists to sing a song on a locally produced show called the Joseph Smith Papers. It is a religious program that examines the writings of the Mormon founder Joseph Smith. I have noticed the marketing and therefore the existence of the program, but have never watched it.

The song was to be a duet, me and another guy, of a hymn penned by Eliza R. Snow. They sent me the music the night before the taping. It was a photocopy from the 1844 edition of the LDS Hymnal. They told me to wear a dark suit and tie and to come to the Assembly Hall at Temple Square at 1:00 PM the next day. That night I learned my part (the upper line).

When I got there they told me that I was no longer singing a duet, but a solo. And they had another song for me to do, A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. They said, "we want all seven verses, a cappella. Oh, and here is the music. It is the original tune, not the one you find in the current hymnal, but one that is sort of like it, but completely different. We will start taping in .03 seconds, so please learn the music and ... action!" (I may have been paraphrasing by the end of the quote).

Anyone that knows me, knows that much of my musical talent is faked, ur... I mean...natural. I am very good at following musical lines. Singing with a piano, or in an ensemble, no problem. But, I am not a particularly good sight-reader under pressure (not horrible, but definitely not perfect) . Those that know me also know that I have very poor eyesight.

Those same people that know me, if they know anything about TV might also know that squinting and looking panicked as your withered and myopic eyes dart from the fifth, sixth, and seventh verse texts (printed neatly in stanzas at the bottom of the page) to the unfamiliar music lines is not an ideal TV look. In fact, I don't think they like you covering your face--even if it is so that you can see the music and lyrics.

I felt a bit like a 98 year-old man trying to read a cereal box, then sing the words from the cereal box to the tune of the theme from Murder She Wrote while trying not to think of theme from Matlock.

After two attempts at the second verse, I said, "I am not going to be able to do this today."

They said they understood and that they would call me back after I'd had time to learn the music.

I'm not holding my breath.

The Eliza R. Snow song was ok, but just ok. Therefore, I will not let you know when they air the episode.

8 comments:

Mike said...

That is awesome! Whatever about faking a song, you are a fantastic vocalist! Fun experience. Keep us posted if you end up on the air!!

Amy said...

Was that Mike Bunker that said you are Fantastic! I did not know he even used that word. Funny story. Took you long enough to blog, one month... C'mon! I am reading here...

Bringhurst Family said...

reminds me of when I signed up in relief society to "help" with singing a song and showed up to rehearsal to find it was a solo. I just decided to be fine with making a fool of myself and it worked out as planned!

jana said...

HOLY COW!!!! That is insane. I can totally see how it all went down in your head. They are telling you all of this terrifying information while everything becomes blurry and their voices slow way down and get deeper and deeper until you hear in full voice, "ACTION!" The green light is on and they are filming. You start and do your best for the first few verses until you finally stop look up and make a mad dash to the door calling back, "I can't do this today." Wow Rick, that must have been quite a moment. Please tell me when it's on! You're the best. I also agree with Amy, "C'mon! I am reading here. . . " More blog entries! I love them. I also love you. Talk to you soon.

Kathie said...

Are you KIDDING??????? You have to let us know. I have never seen you do anything but excellent even in a situation like that. You have to remember that your worst is "our" best. Please let us know when you are "aired". I love this story, told only like SmRick can tell it.

Kathie said...

Sorry for the typo. I mean..."told only like Schmrick Schmurdock can tell it!"

Kathie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annieofbluegables said...

OK. I have known about this for two LONG months, and every.single.Sunday night I forgot to tune in at 8 and see if this was THE NIGHT of the airing of your song.
Well. . . tonight, finally. . . I remembered. We were watching a video and it was done, so we clicked back over to TV. I suddenly remembered I should try to tune in to JS Papers, so I clicked over. A woman was singing and I thought, WOW, this must be the night. They were talking about hymns! Wahoo. . . hold breath and the VERY.NEXT.INTRODUCTION was about Eliza R.Snow's obscure song and then they announced "We've asked Schmrick Schmurdock to sing this."
and there you were! What luck is that? WOW.
And you did a great job.
oh by the way, the guy who sang Wayfaring man. meh notsomuch. I liked yours better!
~a