Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Don't forget your morning prayers

Several years ago I heard this little audio clip where a local traffic reporter ends her morning traffic report in an unusual way.  I ran into it again this morning and it is still funny (I honestly can't stop giggling).  Listen by clicking here.  If you can't get the audio to work, a transcript follows:


"Thanks Bill...and several issues to pass along...the major roadways beginning to clear out nicely...southbound I-15 looking better from 33rd South all the way out to the 44th South. Heading into Davis County you'll still run into some slowing in the Bountiful area, for the most part people are moving pretty well...and, we're grateful for this wonderful day and we humbly say these things in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, amen."



The woman is obviously very tired and somewhere in the middle of her report slips into that dream-like prayer state that we're all familiar with. You know, the one where it's all vain repetition.  But, here are three things that I love about this:

First, that she uses we.  She is praying in behalf of all of FM100's listeners.  Isn't that comforting?  I think all of our traffic reporters should be required to pray for the driving public.

Second, She is grateful for this wonderful day.  The day is obviously just started and already it's wonderful, and for that she is truly grateful.

And third, she says these things humbly.  I am guessing that if she didn't mean it then, she did within a couple of seconds.  When she realized what she had just done.  Nothing like doing something hilarious to really help remind you that it's not all about you.
 
Added bonus NOTE: I just noticed another thing about this.  The reporter says that "southbound I-15 [is] looking better from 33rd South all the way out to the 44th South," which sounds good, but if you're familiar with that section of the freeway, you know that she's talking about maybe a quarter of a mile of road here.  She's obviously already fallen asleep by this point and is just phoning in the report from that sleepy, happy place.
 
I love it.

No comments: