Monday, February 7, 2011

PBS (pure butter spray)

I keep an ideas notebook in my mindflaps where I take notes of ideas.  Some of the ideas are for awesome inventions like: mindflaps and ideas notebooks!  Other ideas include topics that I can write about either here or in other writing places (e.g., bathroom stalls, bedroom walls, and other people's foreheads).  Every once in a while I get out that notebook and look at those ideas that I have been keeping.  This time a couple of them stood out to me: PBS television and butter spray. I would like to say a few words about each.

Of course, we will begin with butter spray (I dedicate this section to all things Schmahn). 

Well, actually, it's official name is I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray.  You may remember the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter products from their 1990's ad campaigns where couples showed varying degrees of belief that they were or were not eating from a tub of butter.  Then, the good people at ICBINB invented a process which allowed them to harness the awesome power of suspending human belief about butter in a spray.  For advertising purposes they, of course, added Fabio.  Fabio's job was to say in a very thick where-ever-Fabio's-from accent, "spray."

Now, there is something about being able to spray butter-ish liquid that diminishes the suspended belief that non-butter butters create in the consumer.  No one, living in reality, would ever use the following sentence, "I can't believe it's not butter spray!"

Why, you ask?  Because butter spray is not a thing that one believes in.  As far as I know, no one has invented butter spray made from butter.  Butter milk, sure.  Butter spray, no.  So, not believing that something sprayed out of a pump action, non-aerosol, hair-spray-type bottle is not a thing that doesn't exist is crazy.  Almost as crazy as the use of triple negative in sentence you just read.  The product's real title probably aught to be one of the following:


I Can't Believe it's Not Hairspray

or

I Can Believe it's Not Butter

or

I Don't Believe it's Butter, Because It Isn't

or

I Can't Believe I Spray This on Things I Used to Put Butter On


Now that we have it labeled correctly, have you ever tried it?  It is awesome.  Try it today.  Right now.  You won't be able to believe it.  It will suspend your belief about butter-related things.  Our butter universe changed in the 1990s and many of us didn't believe it, but we should have.



Now, let's move on to PBS Television.  I have fallen in love with nerd TV (no offense to the nerds reading this posting through their coke-bottle lenses).  Specifically, I have fallen in love with the BBC offerings that PBS Television airs on the weekends, which means I am a female nerd.  My favorite: Lark Rise to Candleford.  Please, watch it, it is wonderful, then we can talk about it (while laugh-snorting, taking puffs from our inhalers, and speaking in the elfin tongue).

Other great PBS/BBC shows: Downton Abbey, Lost in Austen, Sherlock, and Doc Martin (and that is just the scripted stuff).

7 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Funny post Schmick! Dedicated to all things Hahn, eh? I would venture to guess that is related to our excessive use of PBS back in the 90s. I think we used it on about everything...except hair. But I am sure that application was considered strongly.

I also recall this being the topic of several hilarious conversations as we drug main. :)

Regarding the PBS shows...Have you watched the Horatio Hornblower series? It is as fun to watch as it is to say the title. We really enjoyed seeing Scully play an 18th century role in the BBC version of Charles Dicken's Bleak House. Little Dorrit is a gem as well. Our friends are watching Lark Rise to Candleford. We will add that to our list.

Jenny said...

Oh man, I could wax long about spray butter. The only place for the spray is on popcorn, in my opinion, and that's only when I'm feeling guilty for putting real butter on it instead. When I see my kids put it on toast, I fight the urge to snatch it out of their hands. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often since I've worked long and hard to make sure they love butter. Not margarine, butter.

Hahns are crazy extremists. I say that with great love, since I'm married to a reformed extremist. Going camping? Cut your way through the brush, dig a latrine and sit around a campfire in the rain. Want to lose weight? Go down to 800 calories a day and use spray butter on everything. Ugh.

Now that I'm off my rant, I ditto Mike's comments about the BBC shows. Love 'em.

pixiestylist said...

um... i believe you meant to say all things schmahn?

-RSM said...

@Pixiestylist, you are correct. I made the change.

Annieofbluegables said...

I will never forget that picnic in the Oak City Canyon and we served corn on the cob and ICBINB spray. That is when you introduced us to your phrase "I Can't Believe its Not Hair Spray" and even now when I use the product, that phrase replaces the real name. It still makes me laugh.
thanks for the dedication, Schmick.
~a
(Schmahn's schmom)

Anonymous said...

I love every thing you write Shmich or how ever you spell your name.
Your kids are the best and I think you live a hilarious life. Love
Shmutter