Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If a story falls in the woods and no one reads it, is it actually a story?

Hi, all,


I was just reflecting on something I have been feeling recently. You see, I have been writing a novel for the last year. It's nearly half way done and now I am beginning to think about how I would go about getting it published and marketed.


Here is a link if you'd like to read an excerpt from the first chapter.

http://tinyurl.com/2cugxwm


The fact is I have struggled with wanting to share my stories and songs with people, but I have held back because I hate annoying people. I don't want to be one of those pushy people pushing their pushiness on push, push, push.


I've literally written dozens of songs and tens of thousands of words. There are 12 Christmas stories that revisit the nativity, there is the musical about two people in a coma who fall in love, there is the half written play about the rich guy who wants to be a superhero so he hires a nemesis, there are essays about relationships, there is this blog, there are lots of songs about lots of things like the pantsing of boys and the love of a good woman (not in the same song, although I like the idea).

So, I can't help asking my self, what am I supposed to do with it all?

Most of it I've written for my (and my mom's) own enjoyment. But, if a story falls in the woods and no one reads it, is it really a story? And, if I brought people into the woods to read, would they become nervous that I'm inviting them into the woods to hack them up, horror film style?

In other words, it may be that all of my work stinks. And I'm nervous about that.

I'm also kind of needy. I want constant approval and positive feedback, and undoubtedly someone will not like what I've written (that make-a-me sad).

Ah well, dream big or try tomorrow.

2 comments:

LAM said...

Let the world hear and judge.
If they don't like it oh well. If someone gives good advice use it.
You can't grow with out sharing.
RKM

Annieofbluegables said...

No' ye got me curious, Laddie. When's the next chapter coming out????