Thursday, February 16, 2012

Is it Drafty In Here?

Hey, people who read this blog:

I finished the first draft of my novel!  It's done!

It's called Convergence and it took me two-and-a-half years to write.  It is 315 pages and 74,000 words long, which I'm told is regular novel size.

It is about a man who at one moment is sitting at work, in his cubicle, day dreaming, and then suddenly is standing on a grassy knoll on his Grandfather's farm in Scotland.  Only problem is that he doesn't have any Grandfathers who own farms in Scotland.  Wait.  Yes he does.  At least, now he does.

The story is about this man trying to figure out what has happened and how to get home.  Spoiler alert: everyone is dead all along (just kidding--maybe).

I got the idea in the summer of 2009 as I sat in my cubicle daydreaming about what my life would have been like had my great, great Grandfather not immigrated to Utah with the Mormon pioneers in 1861, but instead had stayed in Scotland.

If I were assigning a genre to the story it would be GENEALOGICAL THRILLER (kidding again, sort of).

Really, I tried to take the story seriously, but also tried to give the characters good senses of humor.  So I'd say it's an adult contemporary comedy.

I am not sure what to do with it now.   Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hey! I would love to be a beta reader for it. I am busy with school for now, but could read in a couple months and provide feedback ala OSC "wise reader" variety if you are interested.

Annieofbluegables said...

I'd love to be a beta reader as well. Talk to Julie about what to do next. she is writing a novel and has taken some writing lessons. She's not published yet though. Then there is Rebecca Tanner Shakespeare (from Schmelta) who HAS published a novel.
I'm so excited for you.
~a

dbuxton said...

Start your next one.

Kathie said...

I loved it Rick!